Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tis The Season!

The past (almost) month has been quite busy for me, which is a change I have gladly accepted!  I like to be busy, it helps the time pass, and I always sleep a lot better after a busy day.
I have been substituting for a month now, and I have really gotten used to teaching in the Japanese Culture class.  At first, it was a bit of a challenge because it was completely different from what I was used to teaching and how I was used to teaching.  Japanese Culture is a "specials" class, equivalent to P.E. or Music class, so I see each class in the school at various times during the week.  I have made up enough lesson plans already that should get me through the rest of this assignment.  I have been told now that I will probably be needed through the middle or end of January.  I am perfectly fine with this, because like I said before, it keeps me busy!
Last Friday, I went into a different elementary school on the island for a job interview.  This was for a fourth grade position.  This was my first job interview ever and I felt nervous because I still wasn't refreshed on some things I learned in school that might have been helpful in answering interview questions.  On the day of the interview, I wasn't as nervous as I expected myself to be.  I didn't end up getting the job, but I am taking the positive outlook on it that it was good interview experience for me.  On my next interview, I will be a lot more prepared...and hopefully land a job. :)
As I mentioned in my previous post, Brian and I got a dog.  We picked him up on December 7th, and he is the sunshine in my days now.  Piston is about 10 weeks old now and is a fast learner.  We think that we basically have him potty trained unless he decides to be rebellious inside.  I have also already taught him how to sit.  Piston and I take a couple of walks each day which I enjoy very much.  So far he hasn't done much tearing up in the house.  He knows what his toys are and usually sticks to them.  I keep a pretty close eye on him to make sure he doesn't do anything bad though.
Today is Christmas Eve Eve here.  It still doesn't feel like Christmas.  I suppose there are a couple elements contributing to that effect.  Element number one is that the temperature only lingers barely below 55 at night and sticks in the 70's during the day.  Element number two is that we are both away from our families and things just aren't the same.  We are both trying to manage and hopefully we will be able to make some Christmas traditions of our own here!
Until next post....
Merry Christmas to everyone back home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment